Tuesday 28 September 2010

Silence is golden

On this day in history... 1965, Harpo Marx died. As a kid I grew up with the Marx Brothers films and Harpo was always my favourite of the brothers, although as I got older I came to appreciate Groucho's humour equally. One of the first times I literally pissed myself (not counting bed wetting) was watching Harpo and Groucho in the mirror scene in Duck soup. Classic. And I loved the scenes where Harpo would desperately try to mime and whistle to get some important bit of information over to the others. A Night At The Opera stands out as my favourite with so many great scenes (top has to be the contract scene... "party of the first part") along with the scene of three of the brothers disguised as famous Russian aviators at a town hall reception. Each is expected to say a few words including Harpo!!!

No comments: